Friday, March 4, 2011

Well It is Thursday

One more day and Friday will be here.  The weekends are so important to me since my husband works 11pm till 7 am and he sleeps much of the day when I am awake.  It get real boring watching TV and more so watching him sleep.  I spent a lot of time  today on the Phone with my Medical insurance company in attempt to secure a Scooter.  I feel that I need a bit more easy mobility and at time having to use the wheel chair doesn't cut it at all.  After all the information I got from them, I learn they only provide a max of $449.00 toward the purchase of a scooter and that give me the VERY basic version.  If I want a better scooter, I would have to put out of pocket money, which I don't have at this point.   When you become disabled it becomes very difficult financially to survive.  I once made close to $4,000.00 a month and now am down to $1400.00 a month.  Needless to day It is now tight.  But I am not starving.  Social services are really no help since they see the $1400 I get from Social Security as WEALTHY ! ! ! I assure them it isn't.  It is not in today's financial status !  I can barely afford the co payments on my prescriptions let alone other frivolous expenses.  Yet, I will take each day and face the financial problems as they arise ! !   I got my second shower today.  That right my second shower in two years.   You gotta here the process in order for me to get a shower.   Danny has to take the four kitchen chairs and line them up in a row from the bath tub to the bathroom door. ( My wheelchair doesn't fit in the bathroom doorway) Then I back my chair up in the hall way and using the transfer board I go from wheel chair to chair , down the line of chairs till I arrive at my Shower chair.   SOUNDS like a TOTAL pain in the butt doesn't it?   But it is worth it.  Took me a long time to figure out how I could accomplish this.  I sit here and think of how to make my life easier all the time.  It could be easier if my insurance company would allow me to have a Transfer chair.  they are slimmer in design and would fit in the door.  But once again  They refuse to pay for this type of chair.  I found a transfer chair in BJ wholesale for $99.00 and am thinking hard about purchasing it,  but again there are more important things to purchase like food at this point so I will continue to use my kitchen chair method ! ! !  But DAMN,  the shower feels so good.  I told Danny I will make showering a twice a week ritual just for my own Psyche.  It is just ashame that Danny has all this work to do.  Well I started this post on Thursday and It is now midnight so FRIDAY is here ! ! !   Yeah.  My The way Earlier this week ( Wed)  I tried on my below the knee amputation prothesis and stood for the first time in almost a year.  Felt good.  I look foward to the completed verson of my limb which should be here on Wed. Then Off to In Patient Rehab.  Danny will finnally get a few weeks rest ! !   I bet it will be like a vacation for him ! ! !

1 comment:

  1. Steve... this is great! I had no idea all the struggles you go through every day.. You are very strong and brave and blessed ♥

    ReplyDelete